Sunday, October 12, 2014

My first line I chose for my first and last line piece was “The moment one learns English, complications set in.”  I took that as a child growing up and having to learn new things every day and be responsible for more as every year passes.  I wrote about the complications teenagers face in their daily lives like sadness, the butterflies you get from a certain person, and the judgmental minds of your peers.  I understand everybody has gone through something, but everybody has gone through the exact same thing.  One cannot understand someone to the full extent without trading places with them.  I guess I got that part right.  This line is from a 1900’s novel called Chromos, by Felipe Alfau. This book was published almost 50 years after being initially written in the 1940’s.  It is a novel set in the post WWII era.  When I saw that I thought that I had the meaning of the book kind of right.  The soldiers in the war had a responsibility to their country.  The people back home having dinner with their family or having a Saturday morning off could never understand what the soldiers were having to go through.  I found that interesting, and I might actually read this novel.



The last line was from the novel “The Sun Also Rises” by Earnest Hemmingway. The last line was “Yes,” I said “Isn’t it pretty to think so?”  I had a hard time matching these two statements together to make a story.  It still wasn’t the best possible, but on the bright side I have two new books I’m planning on reading.  The Sun Also Rises is a book I’ve never actually heard of, I’ve only heard of the author.  It is set after WW1.  So it seems I picked two lines from books set in post war times.  I love anything that contains a deeper meaning than just the text on the pages.  I love reading a book and having to read in between the lines and attempt to think and figure out what the author was going through at the time.  I love using little clues in the writings to figure out what the author is trying to convey.  Just from these lines,  I want to think that these books will be like that.  

1 comment:

  1. I read The Sun Also Rises back in high school. Hemingway was quite a character himself, and I enjoyed reading The Paris Wife, a more recent book about his first wife Hadley, and Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald which recounts some of his friendship with F. Scott Fitzgerald. I would recommend both!

    ReplyDelete