Sunday, October 12, 2014

Edward Hopper
                

Nothing seems right anymore.  I own this convenience store a few miles off the main strip.  We used to be the busiest place in town, but that was always because of my wife.  She knew everybody’s name that lived within a 100 mile radius.  She treated these people with the utmost respect and kindness.  Unfortunately, I lost the love of my life to cancer three months ago.  My two kids, Bobby and Anna, took the lost very hard.  They moved across the country with their spouses and kids to start over, try and regain that happiness they had lost. 
                Did anybody think about me? I was married to my wife for over fifty years.  We were high school sweethearts, we even won prom king and queen.  Every Saturday morning, we opened up the shop a few hours late, and we would just sit on our back porch, drink coffee, and just enjoy each other’s presence.  She was my best friend.
                My whole family left me to run the store by myself.  It’s not like I could close it up, the shop was my only source of income.  Since my wife died, business kept getting worse and worse.  Most of that can be blamed on me though.  The places moral had weakened because of my broken heart. Sure, some of the friends we made from owning the store came by every once in a while, but even after visiting a couple times they stopped.  People always leave me.  This shop is who I am not because I have nothing else.  In my free time, which is always, I spend it cleaning and keeping up the cleanliness.  

1 comment:

  1. What a sad situation. It reminds me of my grandpa, who lost his wife when I was three and has seemed lonesome ever since.

    ReplyDelete