Monday, September 15, 2014

The Sky is Everywhere Passage



"I drop my back on the bed, panting and sweating. How will I survive this missing? How do others do it? People die all the time.   Every day. Every hour. There are families all over the world staring at beds that are no longer slept in, and shoes that are no longer worn. Families that no longer have to buy a particular cereal or kind of shampoo.  There are people everywhere standing in line at the movies, buying curtains, walking dogs, while inside their hearts are ripping to shreds. For years.  For their whole lives.  I don’t believe time heals. I don’t want it too. If I heal, doesn’t that mean I’ve accepted the world without her?"


I read The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson my freshman year, and this passage has stood out to me ever since then.  I loved feeling how the main character felt. I guess I just totally got what the author was trying to say in the passage and i admire the words being said.  The depth in what was written made me love this passage.  I have yet to find words in a book that spoke to me like this passage has for the past 2 and a half years.

1 comment:

  1. That is a beautiful passage...I read that book and liked quite a bit about it too. Death seems like such an abstract concept, but I like how the author connects "the missing" to concrete things like favorite cereal and an empty bed. The heartache is real and lasting.

    ReplyDelete