Sunday, September 28, 2014

Readers as Writers...

This piece was written based off of the book with a title and author I don’t even remember. It was the story itself that stuck with me. I read it my freshman year and I decided to use this assignment to put my thoughts about it into words. It was basically about an overweight girl who got bullied and eventually committed suicide.  I was attracted to this book when I read it because bullying is such a serious topic now a days, and so is suicide.  After reading this book, I decided to create some new characters and kind of write an aftermath chapter.  I changed the name of the main character and came up with a single bully.  This is a writing that is the best friend standing up to the bully after her friend died.  The bully shows no remorse for his actions in my writing.  I decided to write this sequel type piece to reflect my views on bullying today. 

*not a true story. Don’t read if  you are sensitive to this kind of content*


 “You will not get away with this! This is serious and you know it.” I argued trying to talk some sense into him.

“Oh please what I did didn't change the obvious outcome one bit. All I did was speed up the process.”

“Cameron, what you did to that poor girl is called bullying. Take responsibility for your actions and stop being a coward! What you did was wrong and so messed up.”

“Stop being so melodramatic.  She had it coming. Maybe if she would have stopped eating and taken a run once in a while we wouldn't have had to do anything to make her realize she was fat.  The way I see it, we did her a favor.” He argued back, with no sympathy in his voice whatsoever.

“I was her best friend. I knew her better than anybody. She was overweight, yes. But where you’re wrong, is that she knew she was.  What she told herself everyday was ten times worse than what you and your pathetic buddies said to her.  It just became so surreal when someone else but herself said it. Don’t you get it? She is gone now because of what you said to her.  Nobody deserves to be bullied so badly that they're pushed that far to the edge. I will not let you get away with this.” I let out all these words at once, with tears streaming down my face.  I cannot believe he has the audacity to stand here and have no regret about what he did to my best friend, it is so sickening.

“Sorry honey but you can’t live on the coast where beaches and bikinis are an everyday routine and look like she did.  This town went back to its original glory when she decided to leave.”


I could not believe what I was hearing.  Cameron bullied Olivia to the breaking point and he has no grief, apologies, or even sympathy for his actions. This world lost an amazing person because of his constant torment. My best friend Olivia may not have had the sexiest body in all of the state of California, but her heart was worth more than any curves or body types. She was the most genuine and caring person I have ever known.  The way a person looks shouldn't define who they are to the people on the outside.  Unfortunately, nobody truly understands that and now nobody will ever be able to get to know the person that I knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment