Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Food Memories


              

            I have a large family.  We cram nearly 50 family members in a small two bedroom house on holidays.  We may be short on space, but one thing we are never short on is food.  I swear the amount of food takes up more than the people do.  Platters upon platters of deserts are stacked up on the kitchen table.  The biggest and juiciest turkey is being strewn to pieces, nearly ready to serve.  My aunt’s homemade mashed potatoes and gravy make my mouth water.  It has always been my favorite, I eat multiple helpings of it.  My other aunt had made her recipe of mostaccioli with a glorious red sauce.  I could seriously eat that for days on end. 

Along with the amazing cooks in my family, we also have a great baker.  My aunt Didi makes the most amazing pastries and cakes I have ever tasted.  Her recipe for her cheesecake is my absolute favorite.  I always ask her to make that for my birthday and for holidays. I always attempt to smuggle some of it for myself to eat on the ride back home.  She also makes an exquisite caramel chocolate cake topped with pecans, my three favorite ingredients in one.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays of all time.  It’s the holiday where it is completely acceptable to eat your body weight in food and then some.  Yes, Thanksgiving is about the food, but it’s also more than that.  It is the only holiday that makes you truly think about the things you have instead of the things you want.  It’s the day where you get to be thankful for the amazing people, experiences and things that make your life amazing.  It’s a day to reflect on your outlook on the way you’re living.  It gives you time to change your ways before Christmas comes along.  Thanksgiving is an amazing day to spend with the people you love and remember all that you have that others might not.

1 comment:

  1. 50 people is a lot in any size house! My grandparents had a tiny house and we'd cram it full of people (and food) too when I was growing up. I miss those days a lot. Sounds like you have some amazing cooks and bakers in your family!

    ReplyDelete