Monday, August 18, 2014

My I Am Poem

I am….
A human being with my own set of problems, a daughter born to two hard-working parents, and the oldest of three.
The responsible sibling, the one spending my days trying to make her parents proud everyday but seems to rarely succeed.
A closet rebellious teenager who finds a rush in breaking the rules, but regrets it after I see the disappointment in my loved ones eyes.
Just a girl conflicted between right and wrong, who tries to be good but always ends up doing wrong, who just tries to have fun with life and who misses the time when coloring inside the lines was all I had to worry about, or whether to share or not my stuffed animals was the hardest decision out there.
Someone who remembers the time when I looked forward to growing up, but realizes it’s nothing like I dreamt about now that I’m living in that reality.
Just a normal family member, friend, and human on the outside, but on the inside I’m nothing ordinary. 
I am…
My country concert tickets lined up on my mirror, giving me my amazing memories.
My Pretty Little Liars posters on my door symbolizing my love for an alternate form of reality and the distraction from my own personal one.
Butter popcorn, sonic ice, and mouthwatering Chinese food.
My creativity, my many art projects and crafts sprawled out around my room showing my inner thoughts.
My swimming goggles, well-worn and has a vague scent of chlorine.
My pictures and memories of times where I was happiest, laughing with my friends and loving and meaningful times with family.
My friends, they are the girls who get me through everything bad in life and they mean the world to me.
I am…
Frizzy, thick, chocolate brown hair, similar color eyes with a hint of green.
Tan skin effected by ringworm, sunburns, and ridden with scars.
My countless pairs of Sperry’s that I wear with any outfit, Nike athletic shorts that I slip on every day after school, and my makeup bag filled with the mascaras, foundation, and eyeliner to cover the flaws.
My small, gold, ruby cross necklace given to me by my grandfather and worn by my grandmother who is no longer with me, but is the best inspiration.
16 years old and in the process of learning the way of the universe, and unfortunately not understanding very much.
A smart but also clueless individual waiting for change in the world, change in myself, and change in the way I see things.
 

3 comments:

  1. How powerful that you recognize you are smart but still have so much you want to learn and figure out. And how wise of you to have already realized being "grown up" isn't all it's cracked up to be...what I wouldn't give to go back and be a kid again and take the time to enjoy all that being young and free had to offer. I can relate so much to what you said about being the oldest and wanting to make everyone proud. I'm sure no matter how you test their boundaries that your parents think the world of you and that you succeed every day in making them proud just by being the girl you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love popcorn and Chinese food as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also the responsible yet slightly rebellious sibling, and I also very much enjoy Chinese food!

    ReplyDelete